RIGHT, WRIGHT RITE and WRITE
The four words, right, wright, rite and write, taken together, are the most intriguing words in the English language because when spoken aloud instead of just read silently they sound the same. They are intriguing only partly because of the pattern of their spelling. They are intriguing mainly because they create a set of non-obvious and therefore insidious, seemingly intractable body-mind problems, particularly but not exclusively for naturally left-handed native Anglo-Saxon speakers. This provides a meta-perspective which is true whether or not people are aware of their left-ness.
Tractable problems are those long standing personal, inter-personal and interactional problems which endure despite attempts to resolve them even when using common-sense and trying to follow experts' advice but which can be solved here.
There is a more intractable meta-problem best captured by the question:
"What constitutes necessary or sufficient evidence that latent / converted handedness is a co-factor causing or sustaining presenting problems, whatever those problems might be?"
Being immersed within the hegemony of the /right/ we fail to see this meta-problem for what it is.
There are two types of long-standing problems:
- What is ... ? conceptual : these problems are concerned primarily with the meaning or definition of entities of one sort or another. They are identified by their "What is ....?" nature, eg dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD, PTSD, learning difficulty or learning disability? This consultancy's overarching conceptual questions are "What is converted / latent handedness?" and "What does the 'hegemony of the /right/ mean?". Problems which are conceptual in emphasis are solved 'suddenly' either by personal insight or by accepting authoritative diktat.
- What if ..../ How to ... ? practical" these problems are concerned primarily with effecting change and are identified by their "What if we do this instead of that?"nature; eg. cure anorexia, improve educational performance, ensure that reasonable adjustments have been made in the workplace for those with disabilities, or prevent young offenders becoming persistent offenders. Here the overarching practical questions are: "How do we identify converted / latent handedness?" and "How can we handle the hegemony of the /right/?"Problems which are primarily practical are solved, if ever, gradually and in a step-wise manner.
This conceptual-practical dichotomy is a human construction which is better handled as two sides of the same coin. Or better still, as the two sides of a page with each page having two aspects -technically labelled recto and verso- aligned here with the conceptual and the practical. Two implications follow. First, for every seemingly practical problem there are corresponding conceptual implications and for every seemingly conceptual question there are practical consequences. Second, since problems often reside within other problems and confusions within other confusions there is the need to turn from page to page.
Trying to get various agencies to acknowledge the role of latent / converted handedness as a co-factor in a variety of apparently intractable problems best exemplifies this duality.
This consultancy's radical approach helps individuals, agencies, corporations, and institutions solve a variety of, to quote Karl Popper, 'concrete miseries' by dealing with ignorance about three phenomena:
- World-views:ignorance about world-views, sometimes known as mind-sets, explanatory schemas or frameworks among both professionals and the public. Differences in world-view explains why experts working in the same field often disagree among themselves - for world-views determine which facts are accepted as evidence and what is not.
- Latent / converted handedness:this core body-mind condition is identified when we find individuals writing with their non-adept hand. The label latent / converted hander isshort-hand for the fact that more than the hand is involved in the condition. Failure to eliminate it as a co-factor in any presenting problem when conducting evaluations for psychological, educational, medico-legal or legal purposes incurs heavy financial and emotional costs, particularly for the entire education system. Its neglect will also result in ineffectual Personalised Education, Professional Development or Reasonable Adjustments in the Work Place for Fitness-to-Work treatment programmes
- Hegemony of the /right/: Ignorance about the role of the hegemony of the right, wright, rite and write in 'causing' seemingly intractable problems explains why they are sustained.
The hegemony of the /right/, latent / converted handedness and world views are interwoven and interlocking issues.
Logging lets users view additional material